Saturday, March 19, 2011

Expatriatism

Last week I found out I'm coming back to Strasbourg next year. I couldn't possibly be any happier about it. The thought of going back to Texas indefinitely was depressing, but now I'm excited to go home for the summer. I miss my family, my dogs, my car, my friends, my bed, my gym, and (of course) Tex-Mex.

I think most people in my life don't understand the appeal of living abroad. This became clear to me when a friend from the States visited this past week. 
I don't even really know what it is about France that I love so much...it's not like my life here is particularly exciting. I go to work, I hang out with my friends, I plan lessons, I waste hours on facebook. Occasionally I plan trips to Morocco or Iceland or Turkey, but I don't have the time or money to travel often. Life in Strasbourg is not always convenient or fun. I share a room and sleep on a rickety smaller-than-twin-sized bed. I'm poor. 
But I love it!!. Every day is an adventure. I have wonderful friends, funny students, tons of free time, and I live in one of the most beautiful cities I've ever seen. I know a lot of people at home don't understand, but I don't care :)

No comments:

Post a Comment